Friday, March 5, 2010

Pluto is TOO a Planet

A miracle has happened to me today. An honest-to-goodness miracle. In my little world, these things just don't happen.

After getting up to see Sophie off safely to the bus stop, I went back to sleep. Her bus comes at 6:45, and Sam usually wakes up on his own around 7:30. If I concentrate really hard on thinking of nothing at all, and visit the bathroom without reading any books, I should - theoretically - have nothing to keep me awake for 45 glorious minutes. Forty-five minutes, mine, all mine! (maniacal laughter) So, gleefully and gratefully, I crawled back into bed.

At some point Sam came in my room saying he was Superman and needed a cape. Opening only one eye, I tucked his blankie into his collar and told him to stay away from kryptonite. He would play for a while until he got hungry and came to me to ask for breakfast. That's, like, another 45 minutes or so! Hot dog! That could take me to 8:15! I snuggled down deeply into my bed and chuckled.

After a while I stretched luxuriously. Took my time opening one eye, then the other. Lay there in a still, silent, warm room, relishing the situation. I lazily turned my head to look at the clock. It said 11:15. WHAT??!!?? I catapulted out of bed, taking three years off the cat's life. He let me sleep until 11:15??? He never came and asked for breakfast! My poor boy, starving in a house full of food! Staring mindlessly at the wall while his stomach caves in! He was probably curled up in the fetal position, wondering if he could have some of the dog's food! Oh, my BABY!!! For the second time this week I flew down the stairs without actually touching any of them. I turned the corner to look for Sam and I heard a giggle behind me. Whirling around, I caught sight of a heel as he ran in the other direction and into the den. I followed him and he leapt out at me: "BOO!" I asked him if he was hungry. He said, "No ma'am [another miracle]. I had a bite." He likes breakfast bars and he calls them "bites". He told me that he got it open all by himself. I just looked at him. He...FED HIMSELF??!!?? WITHOUT WAKING ME UP?

"Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.'"

Wow. This is a most blessed Friday, indeed. The sky must be sunny. The birds must be singing. And all the planets must be lined up just right. Including, I might add, Pluto, which will always be a planet as far as I'm concerned, regardless of what the bickering bobble-heads in the scientific community say. I feel a need to play Handel's "Hallelujah" chorus. I will be more kind, more generous today, as others have been kind and generous to me. I'll hug my children more. I'll make a good dinner, with fresh fruits and vegetables. I will greet my husband at the door with...well, never mind. Let's just say that I'm gonna be nicer to everyone today. (wink, wink)

No comments:

Post a Comment